Reorganizing a project I rewrote a part that previously included a source file via a script file to include it via XMLHttpRequest and BOOM, my code suddenly imploded on Chrome during local testing.
What’s so bad about it is that it imploded with a cryptic error message “XMLHttpRequest Exception 101″ which means a NETWORK_ERR has occured(a fairly broad error state that basically covers everything that has to do with loading).
I figured that this could be a security restriction and was able to find the appropriate bug #37586, but really: you don’t want to have your developers jumping through such hoops just to find out what an error message means. A simple error description such as “Security Error: Document may not request data from file:// protocol” would have spared me and probably a lot of other people a lot of searching.
In case you’ve encountered the same issue: The solution is to disable file:// protocol restrictions with the –allow-file-access-from-files command line switch.